Meet Forrest Merithew
Forrest Merithew is now in the process of developing our new Colorado branch in Fort Collins, CO in order to further our services to Clients in Western States. He is an avid outdoors-man with great interest and a competitive background in litigation, business and legal consulting and construction, energy, environmental, and land use matters. Forrest has lived and practiced around the Country (holding California and North Carolina bar licenses, and soon to be Colorado) and applies that diversity of experiences to Merithew Law with success. Through his travels, Forrest gained personal experience working in the restaurant, bar, beer and beverage industries, outdoor recreation and outfitting, risk analysis, and other business creation and development opportunities. In addition to his business and general counsel practices, Forrest maintains a focused interest in outdoor recreation and gear representation and development, environmental and water law, green building issues, regulatory and administrative law and consultation, energy development, and other related environmental legal issues.
For his undergraduate studies Forrest attended Tulane University in New Orleans, where he earned a dual degree in Political Science and Environmental Studies, while playing for Tulane’s Men’s Club Soccer team and earning Dean’s List Scholar accreditations. Forrest then moved out west and attended the University of San Diego School of Law (USD), where he graduated with scholastic and pro bono honors in 2009. Throughout law school Forrest regularly held internships and firm clerkships, performed work study research and analysis for professors and policy institutes, and earned practical legal experience through a number of different opportunities.
Following his graduation from law school, and over the course of his last four years in San Diego, Forrest worked for two medium sized firms, specializing in business law and complex commercial and civil litigation in a range of practice areas. Through Forrest’s firm practice he was heavily involved in multi-million dollar matters involving business disputes, construction and real estate matters, personal injury, product liability, premises liability, and insurance coverage and defense. He also created a business development and consulting practice and complex litigation organizational case management system through his litigation, insurance coverage, and other business representation experiences. Because of the medium size and nature of the firms Forrest previously worked with he had ample hands-on experience handling matters from inception through trial. He applies his prior experience, and skills gained, to his current practice and clients, along with creative problem solving and an appreciation for community involvement.
Through his work with Merithew Law, Forrest has represented a range of businesses as general and retained counsel, from startups to established national and international companies, including, but not limited to, outdoor recreation and gear products and outfitters, medical devices and products, retail and sales, recreation services, developers, contractors, and subcontractors, breweries and restaurants, and other web or service based endeavors. Forrest appreciates helping others make their goals and dreams come to fruition, while protecting them and their families through upfront legal counseling and risk management throughout the process.
In his free time, Forrest enjoys travel and the outdoors any way he can, including: mountain biking, snowboarding, running, surfing, soccer, beach volleyball, tennis, SUP, swimming, camping, hiking, and documenting it all through travel writing and photography. Forrest also enjoys working with his hands, whether it be automobile and motorcycle mechanics, construction and landscaping, or creative cooking. He believes in a sustainable balance of responsible outdoor use for all recreational and development activities in the hopes of providing future generations with the same opportunities.
- Profesional Memberships
- North Carolina Bar License # 42517
- California Bar License # 265556
- Member – Defense Research Institute (Recreational Products Subcommittee)
- Member – Pisgah SORBA and International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA)
- Community Involvement
- Board Member – Mountain Sports Festival
- Member – City of Asheville Greenway Committee
- Member – City of Asheville Parks & Recreation Commission
- Member – Young Professionals of Asheville
- President – 28th Judicial District Bar, Young Lawyers Division 2013-2015
- University of San Diego School of Law – J.D. 2009
- USD Journal on Climate and Energy Law – Founding Member and Articles Editor
- CALI Award – International Environmental Law
- High Pass Trial Advocacy Course
- Vis Moot International Arbitration Competition – Participant and Subsequent Coach
- USD Environmental Legal Clinic
- National Conflict Resolution Center – Mediation Clinic, Certificate, and Small Claims Court Internship
- Graduation Honors for Pro Bono work with Pisgah Legal and Wild South
- UNC Chapel Hill School of Law – Study Abroad in Sydney, Australia
- Tulane University – B.A. 2004
- Dean’s List Scholar